Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Surgery or Surgery, That is the Question!

Nathan was born with a heart condition, Ventricular Septal Defect, VSD. Nathan has been followed by a cardiologist as a result of the VSD since birth and during this period has been diagnosed with two other heart conditions, Aortic Valve Prolapse, and SubAortic Membrane growth.

Nathan had his Cardiologist appointment today and it has been decided that Nathan needs surgery, yes open heart surgery. I have been expecting this as the previous visits had been leading to this conclusion. However, I have been having anxiety about this until today (still some anxiety but not as much). I guess it is because the visits leading up to today the Cardiologist never said the words "he needs surgery". It was always just a possibility, but in the back of my mind I knew. So today the cardiologist said those words "he needs surgery" and the anxiety of NOT KNOWING was gone! Yes the thought of Nathan having open heart surgery is stressful and comes with some anxiety but I am somewhat weird like that. I have more anxiety with not knowing then if I dealt with the harsh reality.

So now the question. Surgery now or Surgery later? Yes most would think surgery later, less risk. In this case not so. The risk of this surgery is the same regardless of age. So then there is really just timing, as waiting is perfectly fine because there is no damage to Nathan's heart just yet. The doctor suggested 6-7month for a follow-up and then scheduling surgery. Or if we just can't take the wait or if there is outside factors, such as starting school, or family vacations which might effect our decision. I wouldn't mind waiting except in 7 months we could go in and find that his aortic valve is leaking and then schedule surgery asap. I would like to do it now just to get it over with. Also we have to think of who is going to help with the kids while we are tending to Nathan in the hospital and if we wait by the time surgery came around Jeremy Jr. will be starting kindergarten which can be a double stresser. Feel free to leave thoughts, don't be hurt is I don't take your advice because of course it is up to us ultimately!

No comments: