Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Week 2: The Power of the Spirit: Jesus' Ascension and The Holy Spirit

Day 2

John 16:5-11 (New International Version)

The Work of the Holy Spirit

5"Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt[a] in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

----------

Jesus knew how the disciples would feel without him around. So he explained to them how the Spirit would work in their lives. Even though Jesus wouldn't be around physically, the Spirit would continue to do all the things Jesus had done. And because the Spirit would be inside all believers, that ministry took on a much larger scale. Jesus would still be doing his Father's work; he'd just do it through the Holy Spirit. Even now Jesus is doing the Father's work through the Holy Spirit inside you. So in effect, Jesus didn't leave. Jesus placed his Spirit in us, not just the first-century disciples, so we can all join him in his work.


Do you believe God can use you to accomplish his will? Do you believe he will?

Ask God to use you to advance the kingdom today.

No comments: