Monday, April 20, 2009

God's Army: What is the Church?

(Sorry this was yesterday's I forgot to post)

Day 1

Matthew 16:13-20

When Jesus came to the region of Ceasarea Phillipi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
They replied, "Some say John the Baptist;others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or on of the prophets."
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; Whatever you bind of earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.


In Jesus' day, everyone was confused about who he was, and no one fully grasped his mission as the Messiah. Living on this side of history, we're better able to understand his mission; we know the end of the story. But lots of people are still confused about Jesus today. Some believe he's just a teacher, others believe he's one of many pathway's to heaven, and still others believe he's a lunatic. And then some people don't believe he existed at all.

Before we can be a part of he Church, we have to answer this question for ourselves: Do I really believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he can save me from my sins?

The only way into the Church is to confess Jesus as Lord. Have you done that?

If no one you knew believed in Jesus, would you? Why?

If everyone you knew decided that Jesus wasn't really the Son of God would you? Why?

No comments: